Tuesday, February 1, 2011

There are certain workouts I love to do, and then there is one in particular that I loathe beyond comprehension.  Most would assume that the hardest workouts are the least desirable, whereas a nice relaxing hour recovery spin, through a college campus or any other area with a high concentration of attractive young women sauntering about, would be a favorite.  That's not the case for me.

It's no surprise that high-speed sprints are my favorite.  I love the speed, the violent explosion of power as you jump out of the saddle and crush the pedals in a fit of rage.  However, the workout that makes me cringe every time I see it rearing it's sadistic head on my training plan, almost wanting to curl up in the fetal position and cry, is the 90-minute tempo interval, done at about 75-85% of threshold.  (I know, not exactly shocking for a guy who enjoys time-trialing about as much as he enjoys eating a dirt covered rock)

Yes, I said "90 minutes" and "interval" in the same sentence, and yes, my coach may in fact be trying to drive me to act like a character in "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest."  Yet the workout is beautifully cruel in it's simplicity...a gradual, slow, constant grinding away at one's energy, motivation, and sanity.  I liken this masochistic creation to having your finger-nails slowly pulled off of your fingers with pliers.  You see, it's not the sharp, blinding pain that rips through your body like a punch to the kidneys.  It is mental torture, plain and simple.

While I hate doing them, and have struggled more with this workout than any other workout I do, I cannot help but feel tremendous satisfaction when I finish it.  The physical benefits to such a workout are actually quite tremendous, but for me it is the mental workout that rises above all others.  In a 40kilometer time-trial you ride as fast as you can for that period of time, and you just know its going to hurt and you have to gut it out, knowing that the faster you go the sooner it's over.  But no matter how hard I ride the tempo, it's still 90minutes long.  It's like trying to run away from your shadow (which, if anyone was wondering, isn't possible....Peter Pan lied)

I did the 90minute interval tonight.  It was the first time I didn't take a short 30sec or 1min break a few times.  It was glorious, and I feel like I've conquered a training demon.


Oh, I should also mention I do this on an indoor-trainer which only amplifies the rate at which my sanity is running away from me.....so if you're wondering why I seem to be even less connected to reality this winter, you now have some explanation.  

Ooo look! A shiney object! 

No comments:

Post a Comment